Family West Virginia Rafting on the Upper New River
Family White Water Rafting. The rapids on the Upper New are perfect for newbies. What you'll find here are easy waves and bouncy ledges, with just the right amount of splash for the little rafters. Perfect for the whole family, this West Virginia Rafting experience features:
- Raft or Duckies – your choice! (River levels permitting)
- Fun, kid-friendly rapids
- Swimming (plenty of it)
- River games
- Kid-approved hot-grilled lunch
The Upper New River is Mother Nature's own waterpark without the lines. Play the whole day away and worry about nothing but fun and relaxation; ACE will take care of the rest. From getting you to and from the river to blowing up boats to serving lunch, we've got you covered. It's as no-hassle as a family vacation can be.
One day of white water rafting not enough? Make the most of your family time with an overnight family whitewater rafting trip and not only enjoy this great stretch of family whitewater, but also enjoy an evening of riverside camping complete with meals and s'mores. If you're looking for a little more white water, check out Lower New River rafting.
2014 Peak Days: Saturdays 5/3 - 10/18, 5/25, 7/4, 8/31
- Trip Length — All Day
- Meals — Lunch
- Season — May - October
- Minimum Age — 6 Years (24-inch chest size, minimum)
- Minimum Age to paddle a ducky solo: 10
- Difficulty — Easier (Class I-III+)
- Boat Options — 1- & 2-Person Duckies and Rafts
The Upper New River is filled with history from the coal mining era in the New River Gorge. From Henry Ford's silica sand mine to the old miner's hospital and nurses school in McKendree, West Virginia history abounds on both sides of the river. Ask your guide for stories about life in the coal fields as you float downstream on your West Virginia rafting trip.
What is the difference between a Raft and a Ducky?
- ACE rafts are 16-feet, custom built, high-tech and self-bailing (meaning that water automatically runs out). The air-filled tubes that make up the raft are large and comfortable, providing a very stable platform to relax and enjoy the breath-taking views of the Upper New. Crews paddle together with a guide to maneuver through the rapids and there is very little chance of falling out... unless you choose to.
- ACE duckies come in the one or two person variety. A cross between a canoe and kayak, these inflatable boats are stable, lightweight, highly maneuverable and easy to paddle. They are a blast and are our most popular craft on the Upper New. The freedom of choosing your own path, deciding to take the smooth route or jumping into the main part of a rapid is up to you. Duckies make even the smallest rapid a thrilling and exciting adventure. And dont worry, there will be a guide out there with you to help show the way.
- So you can either go it alone in a solo ducky or have a friend ride along with you in a tandem ducky. You must be at least 10 years old to paddle your own ducky. Parents can take children as young as 6 in a tandem ducky!
*Note: For some of the young ones, a full day of paddling a ducky can get tiring. Make sure your guides take a raft you can get in and tie the duckies off the back for the best experience and have the kids switch out.
What To Wear
May - August:
- Shorts and/or bathing suit
- Hat (you will be wearing a helmet on the river)
- Sunglasses with strap
- River sandals or old shoes
- A big smile
- Video - What To Wear
What To Bring
- Personal prescription medication
- Extra layer
- Waterproof camera
- The kids
- Rings, jewelry. watches, wallets or other valuables you'd rather not lose or get wet
- Car keys
- Non-waterproof camera